Subject: Re: Performa 631CD
To: None <schurr23@gte.net>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/04/1997 10:50:55
Hi Eric,

On Wed, 29 Oct 1997 22:51:26 -0500,
Eric Schurr <schurr23@gte.net> wrote:
> The problem is, I have an IDE drive, and no utility I've tried will
> format it for a A/UX partition. Is there any freeware/shareware app I
> can use to do this?

Actually, you wouldn't be able to use the IDE drive on NetBSD at the
moment even if you could make an A/UX partition on it.  We only
support SCSI drives, so I recommend you get an external SCSI drive.

You can put the MacOS side utilities (booter, installer, and mkfs) and
distribution files (baseXX, kernels, etc) on your IDE drive, though.

> Secondly, do I have the mutant 68k chip with the bug that BSD won't run
> on?

I'm sure it's got an LC040 chip, but whether or not it's buggy, I have
no idea.  Try installing SoftwareFPU and running a MacOS application
*that's* *known* *to* *require* *FPU*.  If it doesn't crash,
congratulations, your CPU isn't the buggy one.  If it crashes, I
suggest you get a CPU upgrade, preferably to a full 040.

Ken