Subject: Re: Xcolor with Raster Ops ClearVue/GSXL
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/03/1997 14:09:11
> Well, you might end up running the server in pseudo-color mode
> displaying in greyscale.  The net effect is less than desired.

Isn't there a flag you can pass to X to tell it to use 8 bit grayscale
rather than 8 bit pseudo-color?

> No, I didn't write any drawing routines even though I could have.  I
> wrote only some routines that changes CLUT via Taras' color grf
> ioctl() calls, and built the server with both mfb and cfb8 built in.

Were you fleshing out stub routines or did you actually have to hack
in the procedures to the server?

> > I'm also planning on adding hardware page flipping support calls so
> > somebody might want to add some code to accelerate X using that.
>
> How would X server utilize this?

I've been trying to think of how this could help and I'm having a hard
time deciding how. I recall an old SIGGRAPH article or something
I saw somewhere where having hardware page flipping can be used to
increase window system performance...or perhaps I was just dreaming.
:-) However, I've thought of a few schemes to increase scrolling
speed of dt with hw page flipping.