Subject: MRG_ADB on the PB540c
From: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/03/1997 02:48:39
	I don't remember who suggested it... but I tried compiling a
kernel with MRG_ADB UNcommented. I wish I hadn't dumped all my mailing
list emails to an archive or I would have replied and included the text.
But, in any case, I compiled it last night and tried booting it just
now... and it hung after making the screen white and displaying the first
line of text about preserving so many bytes of kernel stuff.

	I seem to remember whomever I got the first kernel I booted
successfully with telling me to COMMENT MRG_ADB if I built my own kernel,
but then someone said that MRG_ADB was to fix a machine that the ADB was
not supported on, or some such. Maybe someone remembers this?

	I DO have a few questions... about some of the boot messages

Oct 30 15:46:58 yoda /netbsd: real mem = 20971520
Oct 30 15:46:58 yoda /netbsd: avail mem = 16969728

	Where's the other 4 MB go?

Oct 30 15:46:58 yoda /netbsd: mrg: '68040 PowerBook ROMs' ROM glue,
tracing off,debug off, silent traps
Oct 30 15:46:58 yoda /netbsd: mrg: I/O map kludge for ROMs that use
hardware addresses directly.
Oct 30 15:46:58 yoda /netbsd: adb: using PowerBook Duo-series and
PowerBook 500-series hardware support
Oct 30 15:46:58 yoda /netbsd: adb: cleanup: nothing returned
Oct 30 15:46:59 yoda /netbsd: adb: ADBReInit complete
Oct 30 15:46:59 yoda /netbsd: adb: PowerBook extended keyboard at 2
Oct 30 15:46:59 yoda /netbsd: adb: extended mouse <tpad> 2-button 387 dpi
unknown device at 3

	These lines would lead me to belive that there is not much of a
problem with ADB with ADB_MRG uncommented... am I wrong??

Oct 30 15:47:01 yoda /netbsd: sn0 at obio0: failed to get MAC address.

	I won't worry about ethernet support til I can keep from using ls
without it core dumping ;-)

Oct 30 15:47:01 yoda /netbsd: sbc0 at obio0: options=1<PDMA>

	I noticed that in the GENERIC config it gave the SBC option with a
flag of 0x1... but in another config I saw one with a 5 flag. What does
this do? I looked in 'man options' but saw nothing about it... 8-(  I've
noticed the machine crashing into the kernel debugger, and trace showed
some functions like valloc_ffs or something like that (I don't remember
offhand, and now it's not wanting to crash ;-)) but I remember it having
to do with the file system, and writing to it... might the sbc
option=1<PDMA> have to do with that, or no?

	Ryan

-----
My name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!