Subject: Sorting out the SRC (was a is not alpha)
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew Diller <netbsd@dillernet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/03/1997 00:47:36
At 12:10 PM 11/2/97 -0800, you wrote:

>Bill wrote:

>The easiest thing to do (if downloading's cheep) is to just install the
>1.3_alpha release. Then you won't have to compile anything, except possably
>your own kernel.

I think I am understanding what is going on here.  AGain, I'll use Linux as
a comparison.

----------------
Linux-- the 'base' system i.e. most everything except the kernel remains in
place while you can upgrade the kernel as new releases become available.

MacBSD-- with a new kernel, you recompile all the binaries using that
kernal and create these snapshots, essentially a whole new release.
-----------------

Ok, that make sense-- but what exactly are we talking here as an upgrade path?

If I have 1.2.1 and now want 1.3alpha (and then 1.3) I have to reinstall
the whole thing??

What about the newer snapshots of 1.3alpha-- do I need to reinstall the
whole release, or am I safe reinstalling the newer 'snapshots' right ON TOP
of my exising 1.3alpha system??

These may sound like strange questions, but again, My experiences with
other UNIX's (AIX, IRIX and Linux) when you changed kernels, you left most
of the binaries in place.

I guess its like you all have said in your helpful replies-- so MUCH is
happening between the releases that it makes sense to re do ALL the
binaries for the releases. I guess that Linus and the wintel machines at
least have documentation for the devices they were writing for.

With that said, its kinda insane that you all have been able to do what you
HAVE done.  Its really nice (and cool) to have my mac friends come over and
see my se/30 now running X and fvwm-- hell, even the people that I know who
run Linux are impressed that I'm running the LATEST fvwm on an 8 meg 9"
Macintosh. Its so cute.

Now, if I can just get a kernel that will work on my Quadra 605, cause it
would be nice to use an 040.....

To sum up-- I am going to get the latest 1.3alpha snapshot, install that as
my new system and then recompile all the things that I had done under
1.2.1.  Then when the final 1.3 kernel comes out, I should be in good
shape, and I can try some different kernels for my other macs.

-andy