Subject: Q840 ethernet performance?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Steven Campbell <campbel@durham.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/02/1997 22:53:54
Hi. I finally managed to download the entire NetBSD 1.3_alpha dist, and
install it. I must say I'm impressed with the ethernet performance of the 840.
I've set mine up to use the MACE-3 kernel from Dave Huang. I have an Asante
Ethernet card in a NuBus slot. And I have another UNIX host running
UnixWare on the same network.
The MACE driver handles large packets fine. I can successfully ftp 2-3 MB
files from the other UNIX box without problems. I can spray the 840's MACE
interface, and it will not lose packets, and return them quickly.
But the Asante NIC, when it gets sprayed, using:
 "spray -l 1518 <840av's hostname>"

I get these messages...

ae0, warning - receiver ring buffer overrun.  The other UNIX host reports a
65% packet loss. Roughly the same numbers hold true if I use "ping -f
<840av>" to flood it.

I am very impressed with the progress. I recall about 9 months ago that my
840 could see the MAC address of the card, but that was the closest that it
came to having ethernet support. Good work, guys!

Steven Campbell
CNE / MCSE
J&A Media Services
Markham, Ontario