Subject: Re: a is NOT alpha. But kernel src for 1.2.1?
To: netbsd <netbsd@dillernet.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/02/1997 15:13:58
> Thanks for that explanation.  How about getting the kernel src for 1.2.1 so
> that I can compile a non Generic kernel. On ftp.netbsd what looks to be
> kernel src under 1.2.1 is a bunch of files with two letter endings. What is
> the deal with those?

They're split to fit onto floppies, if I remember right...  Extract them
with: "cat ksrc* | tar zxpf -"

> I got the current src tree, but again, now I now that its 1.3alpha. What
> happens if I compile that on a 1.2.1 machine?

Should be fine.  Make sure that you update /usr/share/mk/* (and possibly
/usr/bin/make) as well as /usr/sbin/config from the current sources,
though.  Also make sure you don't remove "options COMPAT_12" from the
configuration file that you config and build from.  The new kernel
should run just fine on the old binaries.  About all you'll notice is
that 'ps', 'w', and commands like that won't work right, but most things
will be just peachy.

If you can afford it, though, it's probably easier to just get the
1.3alpha snapshot and work from there.  A LOT has changed since 1.2.1.

-allen

--
              Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com