Subject: Re: scsi driver conflict?
To: Jeffrey Ohlmann <jaohlma@bgnet.bgsu.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/02/1997 11:15:42
> When I initially installed NetBSD, it was entirely onto a Zip drive, which
> seemed to require the SBC scsi driver.  Now, however, I have purchased a
> larger hard disk and reinstalled NetBSD onto a partition there.  This
> drive (DEC DSP3107, 1021 MB) needs the NCR driver.
>
> NCR kernel is Generic-45, Zip kernel is GenericSBC-27 (25, 26, something).

Does it have to have the NCR driver? I thought the SBC's main
shortcoming was it was a bit slower. Also, you might try GENERIC and
GENERICSBC kernels of the same vintage to seperate version problems
from SCSI driver problems.

> In more-or-less random episodes, I've found that when booted from the
> internal drive (ncr driver) I can sometimes access the zip without a
> problem, and sometimes not.  When not, it's a very hard crash and I have
> to forcibly restart the mac.  Today I booted from the zip (sbc driver),
> and was able to mount the HDD and access it.
>
> Does anyone have any more definite or controlled information regarding
> this?  It would seem that if the zip needs SBC but the booted kernel is
> NCR, I had best not try to use the zip, and vice-versa.  As I said,
> however, the results have been inconsistent.

There's something we REALLY don't understand about SCSI on these
computers. :-)

Take care,

Bill