Subject: a is NOT alpha. But kernel src for 1.2.1?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: netbsd <netbsd@dillernet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/02/1997 14:22:52
At 10:01 AM 11/2/97 -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>> What exactly is the relationship between a current kernel and 1.3a???
>
>Please be a bit more careful with terms. 1.3_alpha is available, not 1.3A.
>1.3_alpha is the alpha release of 1.3. 1.3A will be a stage of -current
>after 1.3 comes out.

Ok, got it.

>(*) Right now we're getting ready for a release, so if you try to
>get the -current source off of the ftp or sup servers, you will
>really get the 1.3_alpha source.

Thanks for that explanation.  How about getting the kernel src for 1.2.1 so
that I can compile a non Generic kernel. On ftp.netbsd what looks to be
kernel src under 1.2.1 is a bunch of files with two letter endings. What is
the deal with those?

Again, I'm trying to come to terms with the way netbsd handles kernels.
The one other system that I compiled kernels was Linux. If you are familar
with that, then you would know that using the generic kernal that got your
system going was a big memory hog. You could choose a kernel release, get
the src for it (which came with the cdrom) and then re-compile it not to
fix anything, but to make it as lean as possible. That is what I'd like to
do for my se/30 and 1.2.1.

I got the current src tree, but again, now I now that its 1.3alpha. What
happens if I compile that on a 1.2.1 machine?

-andy