Subject: Re: IP NAT & Dynamic IP addressing
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/02/1997 04:44:21
On Sat, 1 Nov 1997, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:
> Tom T. Thai is working on a FAQ for this, I think, but in any event,
> IP-NAT with dynamic IP is pretty easy. Here's a script someone sent
> me... The only thing likely to need changing is the "inside" address:

Have y'all taken a look at the following?
http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~avalon/ipfilfaq.html#ppp

That's what I use, and it works great for me, and seems much simpler,
since you don't need to constantly change your mapping. Just do "ipf -y"
in /etc/ppp/ip-up and NAT'll know about your new address.

However, there's a bug in ipf that makes "ipf -y" not work... I mailed the
IPFilter author about it a while back, but it's still not fixed in the
final IPFilter 3.2 :( So, I've sent a PR about it, and hopefully it'll be
fixed for NetBSD 1.3.

That means that if you want to use the method described in the IPFilter
FAQ, you'll have to get a new kernel and new ipf program. So if you don't
feel like upgrading, you'll have to use the other method. But on the other
hand, with the 1.3 release around the corner, it'd be really really great
if everyone downloaded the new kernels and tested them :)

Dahan: Hani G Y+C 22 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++