Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.2.1 on Performa 600CD
To: Skip and Terri Chang <stchang@gte.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/01/1997 19:21:05
Skip and Terri Chang wrote:

> Hi,
> I installed the NetBSD 1.2.1 on my Performa600CD.  I installed all of
> the binary
> packages including the security package.  The hardware configuration is as
> follows:
> memory: 20 MB
> Installed disk:  External 240 MB disk with 185 MB for the root&user partition,
> 40 MB swap space and 6 MB MacOS partition.
> video:
> two monitors.  14" monitor on the build in video and 17" monitor using a NuBus
> video card (Radius ColorPro 24XP)
> Mouse: Kensington turbo mouse
> System: 7.5.5
>
> I restarted the machine with all extensions turned off.  When I execute the
> booter (version 1.9.4), after going through the boot process, the following
> command hangs up and keeps repeating:
> init: can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port /dev/ttye0: No such file or
> directory.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Did you make devices?  I'm pretty sure it should bomb before this if you
don't, but...

You might try 2 things:

1) Boot into single user mode and do the following:

cd /dev
./MAKEDEV

then exit and boot multi-user

2) Boot with a standard Apple Mouse (I'm sure this isn't the problem, but
some people do have trouble with them).

Later.