Subject: Re: IP NAT & Dynamic IP addressing
To: Harry Weppner <Harry.Weppner@gmx.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/01/1997 13:58:28

> Hi there!
>
> I would like to have my SE/30 serve as a gateway for a local Ethernet
> via PPP.
>
> I read a couple of HOWTOs and it seems you need a static IP address to
> do this.
>
> Any other chances? My Service provider solely uses dynamic IP addresing.

I _think_ you should be able to do it w/ a dynamic address, but it
will need some fiddling. I have half of the solution in mind, but you'll
need to play with it some (I've not set up NAT yet).

The /etc/ppp/ip-up script gets called after the IP address gets set.
It's purpose is to handle routing options more complicated than what
"defaultroute" would cover. ip-up gets fed the local and remote IP
addresses, so it should be easy to re-write the NAT rules to use the
dynamic address.

/etc/ppp/ip-down gets called when things are coming down. Use it to
turn of the NAT rules.

Take care,

Bill