Subject: Re: Interrupt priority levels
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/01/1997 14:23:09
On Sat, 1 Nov 1997, Allen Briggs wrote:
> > Cool, the MACE driver is much happier now.
>
> Awesome!  It sounds like you get SCSI next, since you're learning so
> much about the DMA.  ;-)

Yeah, I was thinking about that too :) DMA SCSI would be so cool :)

> Was that 300KB/s to a file or to /dev/null (get /netbsd /dev/null)?
> 300KB/s sounds a lot like the disk transfer speed.

It was to a file... I tried getting it to /dev/null and got about 800K/s
(got a bit over 900K/s once too :) So, not too shabby :) (this is on my 3
computer network at home, so there was basically no other traffic on the
net). 900K/s _is_ possible, isn't it? I've never seen ethernet transfer
that fast before, but I rarely transfer a file to /dev/null :) Anyone know
the absolute theoretical max of TCP on 10Mb ethernet? I'm thinking about
1161KB/s (10Mb/s * 1 byte/8 bits * 1452 data bytes/1526 raw bytes *
1KB/1024 bytes), but I'm sure there are other factors that slow things
down more.

>                            I might look into this today (more interesting
> than trying to fix the lingering bug in my esp driver changes)-:

Cool :)

> > I also made splnet() IPL 4, instead of the 2 that it used to be.  So...
> > that seems to work for me, but I don't know how it'll affect other Macs.
>
> That will _kill_ serial if you're using both serial and networking on
> other macs.

Ah... probably won't be so great even on the AVs either... I know that
serial still seems to work as well as it used to if there's no network
activity, but I haven't tried doing both at the same time.

What about the splsoftnet() thing? At first, I just tried changing
splnet() to _splraise(PSL_S|PSL_IPL4), but that didn't help. So I then
changed pretty much all of the spl*()s to _splraise()s, but probably
just changing splsoftnet() would've fixed it.

Regardless of changing splnet to ipl 4, shouldn't everything be using
splraise anyways? I vaguely remember seeing something about that on
one of the mailing lists, and vaguely remember someone saying that
splraise() needed to be optimized a bit more before being used all
over the place, due to performance considerations...

> I've grabbed your patch for if_sn.c, BTW, and I'll try it on my system
> here before committing it.  Thanks for the sharp eye!

Cool, you're welcome :)
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 22 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++