Subject: Re: Booting failure on Mac IIsi
To: Balazs Barany <bb@lb-data.co.at>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/01/1997 08:32:53
> I've bought an old Mac IIsi with 850 MB SCSI hard disk, 17 (!) MB or RAM,
> a video card with 19" display and an Asante EN/SC SCSI Ethernet adapter.

Ah...  The Asante won't work.  The only SCSI/ethernet devices in the tree
right now are for one or two Cabletron models.
Your problem is that you're not using internal video.  The IIsi only has
1MB soldered on the motherboard in bank A and the memory map looks
different depending on whether or not the video is enabled.  NetBSD does
not correctly handle the case where the kernel does not fit into the
first chunk of physical RAM.  At least, that's what I recall from my
last foray into that code several years ago.

You can work around this by either attaching a display to the internal
video port, or putting a display adapter (or a paper clip in the right
place) that makes the circuitry think that there's a monitor attached.

-allen

--
              Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com