Subject: Re: ip connection using pppd and pap
To: Brian Wildasinn <bwildasi@csulb.edu>
From: Jeffrey Ohlmann <jaohlma@BGNet.bgsu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/31/1997 19:25:58
On Fri, 31 Oct 1997, Brian Wildasinn wrote:

> I'm sorry, but the man pages for pppd are simply not sufficient for me
> to figure this out for myself w/o examples, and the extensive ppp faq
> for the bsd family seems to be mainly for freebsd which uses different
> ppp files, although i've tried the suggestion of using ppp.setup.gz.

I've thrown together a page of links to different PPP/PAP resources,
including also examples of the files needed in /etc/ppp.  The URL is

	http://ernie.bgsu.edu/~jaohlma/netbsd/ppp-resources.html

> files, but nothing's working. Does /etc/ttys need to be altered to fire
> up the modem?

You do need to configure /etc/ttys to make tty00 a dialout modem.  Again,
I refer you to my resource page and my example ttys.

If your modem is not responding at all, then the problem may by in
/etc/ttys or on the ppp-up script.  I don't have experience with any
variety of modems other than my own, so I'm not the one to make
suggestions there.

Keep trying, however.  I wasn't sure I'd ever get my configuration
correct, but eventually I did.  Good luck,

Jeffrey Ohlmann

P.S.  I welcome any comments/suggestions/additions to the resource page.