Subject: Re: still can't boot
To: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/31/1997 10:37:13
Armen Babikyan wrote:

> At 9:32 AM -0500 10/30/97, Allen Briggs wrote:
> >> I agree that the distribution kernel does NOT work, but this combinaiton
> >> has been proven to work by a number of people. It's a shame, though,
> >> that  LC III support dropped out again after kernel #26. Is it supposed
> >> to be back in 1.3?
> >
> >It was never supposed to have been lost.
> >Is there anyone with an LCIII who can try to
> >figure out why current kernels don't work?
> >

> FYI, IIvx support dropped out after #26 too. at least my IIvx. :-)

Well, actually, the problem is that the Booter stopped working after #26,
I think.  Most people I've heard from say that Booter 1.9.4 still works
for them (others say 1.9.5...kinda strange, either way).  However, I think
the latest booter (1.11.1?) should work for you.

> Michael Zucca is doing the color intvid using a IIvx...Michael, are you
> running -current? (and how did you get it to work?) =)
> What kind of stuff could I do to find out what's wrong? Last time I tried
> compiling a kernel on my IIvx, gcc got an "internal compiler error" ( i
> think). I was able to reproduce the error, because it occured again many
> times.   I remember posting soemthing about it a few months back.

Hmmm...have you tried again recently?  I can't remember what causes this,
but I think it's a known problem with a workaround...

> anything after GENERIC-current #44 freezes my machine just before the
> screen is supposed to blank and display [ preserving...].
> right now, I have -current binaries installed, but since the -current
> kernel doesn't run, I can't run the machine (#26 can boot, but i get lots
> of errors in some stuff).
> can anyone point me to some test kernels I could try for this machine?

What booter are you using?  You might want to talk to Nigel if you can't
get the latest booter to boot your machine either.

Later.