Subject: Re: Xcolor with Raster Ops ClearVue/GSXL
To: None <fouques@cetia.fr>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/31/1997 11:09:02
On Fri, 31 Oct 1997 11:51:26 +0100 (MET),
fouques@cetia.fr wrote:
> Hadware configuration:
> Mac IIcx 20Mb Memory
> Apple Toby graphic board 640x480  8bits color
> Raster Ops ClearVue/GSXL 1152x870 8bits greyscale
> Etherner Farallon EterMac II-TN
>
> Software configuration:
> NetBSD 1.2 + kernel Generic#27 + video_lkm_combined.o
> X11R6-1.2 + Xmacbsd.960512 color server
>
> booting log
> ClearVue/GSXL 1152x870 ,monochrome
> Unknow video card ID 0x29e -- Not installing interrupt routine
> grf1 at macvid1
> ite grf1 not configured
> Toby frame buffer card 640x480 ,monochrome
> grf0 at macvid0
> ite grf0 not configured
>
> When I start XWindow color server, the first display (Apple Toby frame buffer)
> is in 256 colors, but the second display (Raster Ops ClearVue/GSXL) switch to
> monochrome instead of 256 greyscale (under MacOS this monitor is switch to
> 256 greyscale with Monitor control panel before booting NetBSD ).

There are two problems with this.  First, your kernel's having trouble
getting the video card to work.  This makes it impossible for the
color server to do color because there has to be some device driver
support for the server to initialize video mode, access CLUT, and so
on.

Second, the color X server doesn't support greyscale (oops!).  It only
supports B&W and 8-bit pseudo-color modes.  Therefore, even if your
kernel did support your RasterOps card, X server couldn't run in
greyscale mode.  I might work on it one of those days, but when, I
have no idea.

(Is anybody interested in salvaging my color server source code from
my disconnected disk drives?  If you are, please contact me privately,
so we might be able to arrange it to be sent to you.  Oh, you'll have
to promise me not to peek my private stuff on them ;-)

Ken