Subject: Re: NetBSD on PB150
To: Oddie Jonathan <oddie@bvsd.k12.co.us>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/30/1997 11:24:33
Oddie  Jonathan wrote:

> I would really like to get some UN*X system running on a PowerBook 150,
> but it says in the list of NetBSD supported machines that the PB150 will
> boot NetBSD, but can only be accessed from an external terminal :-(
>
> My question is, what exactly is the problem? I thought it said it was with
> the video, but I also saw somewhere else that it was with ADB. Would it be
> a hard problem to fix? Because maybe I could have a go at it.

I believe that ADB _should_ be working for this machine (if it's not right
now, it will most likely be by the 1.3 release).  However, internal video
mapping is still going to be broken in all likelihood.  Because of this, I
doubt the PB 1x0-series machines will boot off of their own consoles
(actually, I doubt any of the PowerBooks will boot off of their own
consoles on a -current kernel, if anyone has info to the contrary, please
let me know asap!).

I think the problem is with mapping of video memory at boot time, but
Michael Zucca might be able to explain it better since he's the one who
managed to get internal video working at one time.  I'm not sure how hard
it would be to fix, tho.  I think that a hack to get it to boot might not
be too hard, but the clean and "correct" solution might be a bit more
difficult.  Good luck if you want to work on it, we're always looking for
more volunteers!

Later.