Subject: Re: NetBSD on PB150
To: Oddie Jonathan <oddie@bvsd.k12.co.us>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/30/1997 13:24:08
> I would really like to get some UN*X system running on a PowerBook 150,
> but it says in the list of NetBSD supported machines that the PB150 will
> boot NetBSD, but can only be accessed from an external terminal :-(
>
> My question is, what exactly is the problem? I thought it said it was with
> the video, but I also saw somewhere else that it was with ADB. Would it be
> a hard problem to fix? Because maybe I could have a go at it.

The problem is already fixed...sort of. I made some code a long while ago
that fixed all PowerBook video problems. Unfortunately, all of the changes
haven't quite made it into the source yet. This is because some of the
changes were a little klugey and really should be fixed properly first
rather than being "worked around" via a hack.

Try test booting with the latest booter (1.11 something) and a brand new
1.3 Alpha kernel. You can do this without partitioning anything, just
get the booter and the kernel and tell the booter to load the kernel from
a MacOS file. The kernel should boot and if it's sucessful will ask for
a root partition (which you won't have but at least you'll know it gets
that far).