Subject: Installer and ZIP, 1.3-ALPHA?
To: MacBSD <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Stefan Schmiedl <swsch@pobox.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/30/1997 10:12:10
Hi everyone,

some days ago I asked about some ncrscsi problems with my Quantum
Lightning 730 and got many responses, mostly suggesting to use sbc
kernels. Thanks to everyone responding. I tried and still got media
errors.

Again I did back up everything and let my FWB HardDisk Toolkit check the
drive. It found some bad sectors which disappeared after reformatting
the drive. Strange.

Now I am preparing to reinstall NetBSD-1.2 and use the genericsbc-45
kernel from the start.

This leads to another problem: I cpin'ed some files to a unix partition
on a ZIP disk using the Installer 1.1f and the ZIP files were corrupt.
cpin'ing of same files to the hard drive worked fine, the files were ok.

<G> do we have some 'Installer-sbc'? </G>

Before starting the installation, I venture to ask the following
question, probably impossible to answer:

Since I have to pay for downloading (my phone bill begins to resemble my
phone number ...) I would like to know which parts of the binaries are
probably going to change until the final release.

If only a few binaries in the large tar files change, then how about
setting up a (hopefully smaller) tar file containing only the new stuff?

Regards
--
Stefan Schmiedl         <phone:+49 (0)9421 923916>
Ittlinger Str. 27c      <mailto:swsch@pobox.com>