Subject: Re: New Thread on SunOS binary compatibility
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/29/1997 17:59:44

> Anyone know if there is a sun3 client for AFS?  Do I have a prayer?
> (Assuming I can get an old SunOS CD-ROM.)
>
> I know about the string-to-key routine difference, but that's just for
> Kerberos compatability.  I think there is an LKM involved.  Does the
> compatibility extend that far?  I suspect not, but it sure would be fun.

Why not just try to run the AFS clients for NetBSD? They live at
/afs/transarc.com/some/contrib/directory.

Your TransArc site person can get them for free (you do have to have
legal access to AFS to get them, but there's no extra fee).

The string-to-key stuff is only for Kerberos. I'm trying to get that
all sorted out. I've gotten some tips from the OpenBSD folks, but
I'm not done yet (I can't seem to change my password).

I don't think the COMPAT_OTHER_OS extends to lkm's. Just user programs
where we map their syscalls to ours.

Take care,

Bill