Subject: Re: Ethernet for AV Macs: Test Kernel Available
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Kelly Campbell <camk@telecom.ksu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/27/1997 22:45:49

> > ma0 at obio0: version 0x0940, address 08:00:07:86:d0:c0
> >
> > While that address looks reasonable in some sense the vendor portion does
> > not match what my PowerMac 7500 uses, which is 00:05:02:...
> >

> Apple has used about 3 different vendor numbers, I think (although one of
> them was supposedly a bug in some firmware routines...a patch to Open
> Transport actually resulted in a changed ethernet address for some people
> IIRC).
>
> I can't remember if 08:00:07:86:d0:c0 is a valid Apple number, tho.

>From what I remember back in my Mac net admin days, 08:00 is Apple's main
vendor ID for CPU's. 00:05 was the buggy software one, which they later
registered just to keep the standards people happy. So in this case, I
would say that the 08 address is the more correct of the two.

Also, I found a document containing a whole bunch of vendor id's
somewhere on the net, so that might be worth searching for again.
It might have been an rfc, but I really dont remember at this time.

Kelly
--
| Kelly A. Campbell              | Kansas State University     |