Subject: NetBSD 1.2 and Quantum Lightning
To: MacBSD <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Stefan Schmiedl <swsch@pobox.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/27/1997 18:23:48
Hi,

After a year of non-Unix work I reformatted my Quantum Lighning 730 hard
drive and installed a copy of NetBSD 1.2 I downloaded shortly after it
was released but had no time to install then.

Before installation I tested the drive with my HardDisk Toolkit and it
found no bad blocks or dreadful things like that.

Then I partitioned the drive for 450 MB root&usr, 64 MB swap, and the
rest as hfs. I watched the NetBSD installer for some hours (sigh) and
then booted the system. Everything worked fine, just as I remembered
with 1.1 before.

But today I encountered scsi problems such as

sd0(ncrscsi0:2:0): medium error, info 326258 data 00 25 00 c0 00 12 00
00 00 00

when reading from a file on disk. Second try resulted in

sd0(ncrscsi0:2:0): medium error, info 326258 data ff fe 01 03 29 00 b6
db 6d

Third try was the same as first try.

It was not the first time that I could not read a file on disk anymore
and it seems to happen much more often than in the good old 1.1 days,
when I wondered about people having drive problems.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do? Use some other
kernel (URL please)? Buying another hard drive is not an option.
Upgrade to 1.3, where the problem will be fixed?

Regards
--
Stefan Schmiedl         <phone:+49 (0)9421 923916>
Ittlinger Str. 27c      <mailto:swsch@pobox.com>