Subject: Re: Problems with new Booter/Installer
To: None <ADAMGOOD@delphi.com>
From: Nico van Eikema Hommes <hommes@derioc1.organik.uni-erlangen.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/27/1997 07:42:47
    Hi Adam,

>The Installer was worse.  While it was scanning my SCSI bus for drives it
>crashed the system with an unimplimented trap message that required power
>cycling the machine. Anyone else have any problems with these?

Yes, it is most probably due to the leftover _debugstr trap that I reported
to the list a week ago:

>The latest installer version I have, 1.1f, calls _debugstr when a SCSI error
>occurs. More precise, the call
>        debugstr('SCSI read error')
>apparently occurs in routine "read_block2". It might be a good idea to have
>it removed.

Whenever a SCSI error of some sort occurs, this will drop you into MacsBug,
if you have it installed, or crash your machine if not.
I suspect that the above message did not make it to the Installer maintainer,
but instead went into the archive unnoticed while all subscribers were so
vigorously discussing the pros and cons of various possible email addresses
that might lead to Steve Jobs :-)

With MacsBug installed, just type command-g and the installer continues.

Best wishes,

          Nico

--
  Dr. N.J.R. van Eikema Hommes     Computer-Chemie-Centrum
  hommes@ccc.uni-erlangen.de       Universitaet Erlangen-Nuernberg