Subject: Re: /dev/asc0?
To: None <PREGMAN1@wit.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/26/1997 14:16:38

> Now that I'm running a -current system, I've noticed that I have a
> character device called asc0 which the MAKEDEV script identifies as
> being associated with the Apple Sound Chip.  I've tried catting text to
> the device in the hopes that some noise would come out of my speaker, but
> nothing happens.  Can anyone tell me if this thing is actually function
> -al or not, and if so, how can it be used?  Thanks.

As I understand it, it's NOT functional. Scott added it so that there's a
driver for someone to play with. It should be possable to add a
driver as an lkm (it would replace the asc functions currently in
the kernel).

sys/arch/mac68k/dev/asc.c contains the current driver. It doesn't do
much of anything, except permit memory-mapping of the asc driver's i/o
space.

I think we'd all be QUITE happy if you wanted to start fussing w/ a
new audio driver. I think NetBSD in general is moving toward something
SunOS-compatable, and Machine-Independant audio'd be cool!

Take care,

Bill