Subject: Re: dt 1.1.4 Problems -- still
To: Gabe Ricard <offset@aaaa.net>
From: Steve Quint <Squint@flash.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/26/1997 00:20:08
At 5:36 PM -0700 10/25/97, Gabe Ricard wrote:
>Ok, I went back into MacOS , rebooted without extensions, made sure the
>monitor was in 1 bit mode, and booted into NetBSD. Still dt just blanks
>out the screen. However I CAN execute shell commands. Apparently my old
>shell is there listening to what I type in, or maybe it's dt, I don't
>know. But I can do stuff, so I just su to root and reboot. I tried typing
>cmd-1 to get to the first terminal, nothing happened. I had run dt as 'dt
>-n 1' so there should have been a terminal open. I tried to open a new
>terminal using cmd-o, and basically went through all the various commands
>for dt. Nothing worked.
>
>Im using a Quadra 700, with the -current snapshot, and the GENERIC-45
>kernel. I have 20MB of ram, and my graphics card is a Super Mac Thunder
>or something along those lines, my monitor is a 19" Super Mac in case
>that has anything to do with this. But it really shouldn't because I ran
>NetBSD on this machine before and used dt. I've made no hardware changes
>to it since then.
>
>Anyone have any ideas?

I had a similar (unresolved) problem on my Q700.  Does `dmesg` output a
line containing "grf0"?  If not, then X and dt support is still broken.

Steve

"Always ... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is
better. And twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad. And too
much is never enough except when it's just about right."
			-- The Tick