Subject: Re: SE/30 video & other newbie questions
To: Jim Kannengieser <jimk@tuna.net>
From: Luca Bonci <bonci@levy.phys.unt.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/25/1997 19:09:04
Well, I am new too but i think I can help!

Yau can easily solve the problem with the reverse screen, by typing mac
instead than vt220 or vt110 at the terminal prompt. Then you can
configure your .login file to automatically set this terminal.

On Sat, 25 Oct 1997, Jim Kannengieser wrote:
> Hello. I'm new to NetBSD, and I have some questions that I hope other users
> can answer. I tried the FAQ, but nothing there could help. I'm running
> MacBSD on an SE/30 (32/365) and have been having trouble with the video.
> Upon booting, it works fine for a while, but after I do something like open
> a man page or use vi, it reverses on me and I get a screen that has a white
> background, but the text is white on black. Only the text is white on
> black, not the entire screen. Does anyone know how to fix this very
> annoying problem?
>
> That problem is my biggest right now, but I also have these two questions:
>
> Does X work on the SE/30?

They work nicely but remember to insatll the special SE/30 xserver (see
the FAQ).

> How do I install the NetBSD software that I downloaded to my Mac? I see in
> the mini-shell on the installer that there are cpin and cpout commands, but
> there aren't any man pages for them and I'd like to know how to use them.

using cpin and cpout is very easiy, just put the files you want to
trasnfer to the same directory of the installer and then type in the
minishell:

cpin macfilename bsdfilename

This is going to copy the file named macfilename from the installer
directory to the root directory of the unix filesystem with the name
'bsdfilename'

You can naturally use different pathname to copy in different directory.

I hope I solved you problems.

Luca Bonci