Subject: Re: System locks up during boot process (and I DID rtfm)
To: Marcus Daniel <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: #hea <hea@ix.netcom.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/25/1997 08:11:10
On 10/25, Marcus Daniel wrote:
>When I try to boot netbsd, everything seems to run smoothly up to the
>point of closing the log file, then the system just locks up (mouse
>pointer freezes as a clock, no further user interaction possible).

The 'Booter' is unable to find the Root Partition.
Three possibilities come to mind.

1)  Did you set the partition type ( via pdisk, or Apple HD SC Setup )?
'root & usr'
    and swap partitions should be set up.  You may also have root, swap,
and usr.
    MacOS partitions will not work for Unix type partitions, although you
may have
    Mac partitions on the same disk ( along with the Unix type partitions
).

2)  Did you remember to 'Build Devices' ?  It needs to write the
/etc/fstab file.
    You need to keep the same hard drive configuration, since NetBSD
numbers the drives
    in the order that it finds them.  If you change the order of the
drives, the
    /etc/fstab table must change.  ( Build Devices again ).

    You can use the Mini-Shell to examine partitions ( via "disklabel"
command ) and
    you can examine the fstab via "cat /etc/fstab".

3)   Did you set the 'Kernel Name' ( to netbsd ) in the 'Booter' boot
options?  Also
     you need to set the Root SCSI ID.  ( remember, SCSI ID is the
hardware address of
     the boot drive, and is not related to the number in fstab. )

...Harlan