Subject: Re: LC II doesn't boot even thout I _did_ rtfm
To: None <danielm@uni-muenster.de>
From: Nico van Eikema Hommes <hommes@derioc1.organik.uni-erlangen.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/25/1997 13:36:06
     Hi Daniel,

>I have a Mac LC II which is listed as a working system, but it just
>locks up after initiating the boot process.
>I try to be terse, so that I do not use up too much of your time.

I fear that you have gone a bit too far :-) What you don't mention is
which version of NetBSD/mac68k you are trying to boot, and which booter
version you are using? If they are not the latest ones, please get them
and try again. AFAIK, others are running MacBSD fine on the LC II.

Your problems with the CD-ROM drive have very little to do with it being
a SCSI drive, but rather with Apple's decision to support only hardware
they build into their machines. There are excellent third-party drivers
available, e.g., FWB's CD-ROM toolkit, for those who want to use other
hardware.
It is not typically Apple, too. For example, our SGI machines need a
bootable CD-ROM which is no longer available, nothing else works. The
same problem occurs with our HP workstations. Also, these require the
boot drive to be at most 2 Gb minus one byte in size, a regular 2 Gb
disk is slightly too large and does not work.

By the way, you might set the date of your machine correctly. We have
1997 these days :-)

Best wishes,

          Nico

--
  Dr. N.J.R. van Eikema Hommes     Computer-Chemie-Centrum
  hommes@ccc.uni-erlangen.de       Universitaet Erlangen-Nuernberg