Subject: System locks up during boot process (and I DID rtfm)
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Marcus Daniel <danielm@uni-muenster.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/25/1997 02:47:33
Hi mac68k developers !

Short version:
even though it is described by others as a supported system.

I have a LC II ( German Language MacOS 7.0.1) with 4MB on board and 2
4MB modules in the SIMM slots. I replaced the original 40MB harddrive
with an old SCSI1 Seagate 170MB harddrive (60MB Mac 100MB netbsd). That
drive was never shipped in a Mac, but SCSI is SCSI for NetBSD I hope.
My LC II has a 13" Display (640x480 256 colors)

When I try to boot netbsd, everything seems to run smoothly up to the
point of closing the log file, then the system just locks up (mouse
pointer freezes as a clock, no further user interaction possible).
Here the last bits of the log file (debugging set to 1, higher levels
give no more information in the last part of the log file). If you want
I can supply you with the entire file and/or higher debugging level
information.

transparent = 1
sizeof struct exec = 32
Magic = NMAGIC (read-only text)
MID_M68K executable: entry 0x2e00.
Allocated 1729578 bytes.
998260 (0x0)+64240+91828+162024+151082

Set _boothowto to 0x0.
start address = 0x2e00.
total kernel buffer space used = 1468602 (0x1668ba).
The warm and fuzzy copycode() is at 0x0063b03a
Hex dump of copycode():

(0x0063b03a) 4E 56 00 00 40 C0 00 40 07 00 46 C0 20 6E 00 08
(0x0063b04a) 22 6E 00 0C 20 2E 00 10 22 D8 53 80 66 FA 2C 2E
(0x0063b05a) 00 1C 2E 2D CE 30 2A 2E 00 18 26 6D CE 2C 24 6D
(0x0063b06a) CE 44 28 2D CE 40 28 6D CE 48 22 6D CE 34 93 EE
harry() is at 0x85dc00
Hex dump of Harry(), our friend!
(...should be the same as copycode(), above...)

(0x0085dc00) 4E 56 00 00 40 C0 00 40 07 00 46 C0 20 6E 00 08
(0x0085dc10) 22 6E 00 0C 20 2E 00 10 22 D8 53 80 66 FA 2C 2E
(0x0085dc20) 00 1C 2E 2D CE 30 2A 2E 00 18 26 6D CE 2C 24 6D
(0x0085dc30) CE 44 28 2D CE 40 28 6D CE 48 22 6D CE 34 93 EE

from = 0x006ba000, to = 0x00000000, len = 430080, entry = 0x00002e00
  Bye-bye...
        So I sez to him...  The real way
        that it should be done is to...
Serial console flags = 0

Set _mac68k_vrsrc_cnt to 0x0.

Set _mac68k_vrsrc_vec to {0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 }.

--------------lock up-------------------

What did I do wrong ?
I tried several ways of initiating the boot process, such as no
extensions, black and white video mode, zapping the pram and even
installing MODE32 even though I'm not supposed to need it.

Thanks in advance and have a bug free day

Marcus

Longer version with more rambling:
----------------------------------
Congratulations to the NetBSD effort!
I originally started out with netbsd on an IBM PC compatible computer,
but then my UNIX Guru started to use Linux and I switched too. Now I
cheaply optained an old used Macintosh LCII which I use as a better Type
Writer at home, while my Linux machine remains at the university dorm.
Knowing nothing of Macs, which I hithero only admired from a distance I
quickly tried to learn more about them. As long as I just used the thing
as a text processor and Internet client all was well, but then I got
fancy ideas and started to get annoyed with Apple. A friend gave me an
old external Toshiba SCSI CD-ROM drive. Great I thought SCSI components
are easy to install and cross platform compatible. Wrong! I couldn't get
it to work with my Mac. SCSI-Info saw it but the Mac wouldn't load the
driver software (from Apple's ftp server) even though I installed it
correctly. There seems to be no driver support for
non-apple-manufactured drives even though all understand the standard
SCSI command set. That is in my oppinion just as bad as Microsoft's
practices to control the software market.
I finally found after much looking a free CD-ROM driver, but that can
only read apple's filesystem, but I have no Macintosh CD-ROMs.
I tried to install a bigger harddrive, another present from a friend.
Apple doesn't support it, after much looking I found a patch for the
partition utillity from Apple, at least the hard drive is working now.
And now I want to install NetBSD, because I love the UNIX way, and again
Apple is disappointing me !
What am I supposed to think of Apple Computers ? They only showed me
their worst side. I have an old 486 Intel running Linux, I plan to buy a
new and better computer, I want to spend some bucks. Is Apple giving me
any reason to buy one of their products ? No !
And I dearly would like to try some new non-Intel system, which does run
a UNIX and isn't as expensive as a SUN.

Your disappointed new Mac user

Marcus (danielm@uni-muenster.de)