Subject: Re: MkLinux DR2.1 update 5
To: Adam Fritzler <afritz@primenet.com>
From: Tom Rini <trini@marathon.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/23/1997 15:14:01
On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Adam Fritzler wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Colin Wood wrote:
>
> > nigel@ind.tansu.com.au wrote:
> > >
> > > From the announcement on http://www.mklinux.apple.com/MkLCurrent/updates/
> > >
> > > Features of the update include:
[..snip..]
> > >     Can default boot into either MkLinux or MacOs
>
> What is this?  Are they completely bypassing MacOS on boot (if you
> default boot into MkLinux)?

Yeap, the mklinux booter is an extention that lets you pick your OS at
startup, kinda like BeOS i think..

> > >     HFS filesystem support built in to Linux server
> > >
> > > 	The "Can boot with Macos's VM enabled" looks interesting. I wonder
> > > if I can incorporate it into our Booter?
> >
> > Probably...if they make the source available...but I don't think they do
> > :-(  Oh well, just have to go figure it out yourself ;-)
>
> Do they not give the source to thier booter?  Kernel?  Oh well...

Not the the macos booter.  Propietary code or something along those lines.
Of course you get all the mach and vmlinux code.

> > I'd like to see audio support and HFS support, myself.
>
> They still don't have HFS support?  I think that's part of the standard
> Linux tree...at least the m68k tree...

HFS support is only in the official 2.1.x tree.  MkLinux is still 2.0.x
based, except for a few things such as that.  This also includes HFS
support for mach and linux.

Tom Rini                (TR1265)  | forgot how it feels; well almost
trini@marathon.org                | no one to blame; always the same
http://207.211.152.57/            | open my eyes; wake up in flames
i am a slave to freedom           | nine inch nails - gave up

NOTICE TO BULK EMAILERS:  Pursuant to US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5,
Subchapter II,  227, any and all nonsolicited commercial E-mail sent to
this address is subject to a download and archival fee in the amount of
$500 US. E-mailing denotes acceptance of these terms.