Subject: Re: MkLinux DR2.1 update 5
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/23/1997 10:14:50
> > 	The "Can boot with Macos's VM enabled" looks interesting. I wonder
> > if I can incorporate it into our Booter?
>
> Probably...if they make the source available...but I don't think they do
> :-(  Oh well, just have to go figure it out yourself ;-)

I thought they distributed source for all of mkLinux?

> I'd like to see audio support and HFS support, myself.

Paul and I hacked on one of the hfs modules, and got it close to working
(there was a buffer cache problem). Right now, I think a better way to
get hfs support would be Paul Hargrove's hfsfs module, which unfortunatly
is GPL'd. I've had lunch a few times w/ Paul, and he'd rather not remove
the GPL. The problem is that he received non-trivial help from a MacOS
simulator company (he got to read their source), and they asked him
to keep it GPL'd. There's a one-word reason: Microsoft. :-)

I think our best bet is either use the h* utilities, or get hfsfs
working, and just keep it an lkm.

Take care,

Bill