Subject: Re: Question(yet another)
To: jaypee <jaypee@rogers.wave.ca>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/23/1997 10:07:23

> Hey all, Just a simple question.  well maybe not that simple, however, i
> have a powerbook 520c(68040) and a local talked se30 in my shed (please
> dont ask), Im cureently connected to the net witha  500k cable modem,
> (there okay, dont suggest getting one, mail me privately for that
> debate)and what im intrested in see'ing, is if i can pull that se30 on
> the net, i have not put that sucker with netbsd yet, but will plan on
> doing that, its only got a whoping 30MB hard drive but im sure i can get
> at least a stable system running.  anyone know if i can pull it off? or
> is it controllable by software, the se30 does not have an ethernet jack,
> if it dd i'd put the puppy on my 122 port hub, and steal an ip from my
> isp, (done it before), to see if i can pull it off, if there is anything
> i can use, either on this powerbook to filter out the localtalk to go to
> the, net, or something i can use on the se30 to send it threw the funnel ?

Ack! Please throw in some paragraph breaks! :-)

Right now, you have two options. Either get an Ethernet card for the SE/30,
or run NetBSD on the PowerBook, and use a ppp connection. For the latter,
you'd probably also want to set up ipnat (Network Address Translation)
so that packets get routed back to the SE/30 right.

I'm working on LocalTalk, but things are going slow. The main problem
is that I'm hoping to finish my Ph.D. this quarter...  :-) But we are
in a position that I think we can have a LocalTalk lkm for 1.3 (I.E.
you won't have to get a special kernel to use it).

Take care,

Bill