Subject: Re: Afterstep & libXpm.4.7
To: None <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Paul Ripke <weripp@itwol.bhp.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/23/1997 09:55:25
Colin Wood wrote:
> David A. Gatwood wrote:

> > > Does your drive go into some sort of sleep mode automatically? It could be
> > > that the on-disk cache is getting the sectors to write but not getting to
> > > send them out before MacOS resets the SCSI bus (and possably the drive).
> >
> > It spins down during a reboot, if that's what you mean.
>
> David-
>
> Do you know what kind of hard drive you're using?  I think that what Bill
> is getting at here is that some hard drives support a sleep mode where
> they spin down, and it might be that your hard drive is managing to spin
> down _before_ the sync is performed by a 'shutdown -r'.  If this is the
> case, I think that fixing it should be relatively simple, although I don't
> know for sure.  Most Quantum drives for example have a jumper setting that
> keeps them from spinning down...if you're only going to be running NetBSD
> on the PB, that might be an option.  Otherwise, there may be some kind of
> quirk that needs to be set for your hard drive (although I don't know
> enough about quirks to really tell you on that one :-)

Just to add my 5 cents worth, I have always felt that the time bewteen the
last disk access and the power being cut on my IIsi when shutting down is
a little to short for comfort. I agree that this corruption sounds alot
like a disk-based cache not getting flushed before reset is sent. Reading
through some of the Mac news archives, some PowerMacs had the same problem
in MacOS - the ROM routines were cutting power before the disk had time
to flush its cache.

Perhaps there is a need for a simple spinwait when shutting down and
rebooting?

Cheers,
--
Paul Ripke