Subject: Re: Rebooting NetBSD
To: None <jaohlma@BGNet.bgsu.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/22/1997 14:25:30
Jeffrey Ohlmann wrote:

> I've been combing through FAQs and man-pages but haven't found the answer
> to this:  is it possible to reboot NetBSD without restarting the actual
> Macintosh and Booting from MacOS again?  I've tried all sorts of flags
> with shutdown, reboot, halt, and so on, but all without success.  Is this
> not possible?  My memory may be faulty (that's my brain, not my hardware)
> but it seems like I did this once, probably by accident.  Can anyone set
> me straight?
>
> (If'n it should matter, this is a P550 w/FPU; NetBSD root&usr resides on
> a Zip disk)

The command

'shutdown -r now'

should be able to reboot the machine similar to choosing "Restart" from
the "Special" menu under MacOS.  If this isn't the case for you, it may be
that you've got one of those machines which doesn't quite behave itself.
There is a known problem where it appears that kernel size affects
whether or not a reboot attempt will hang the machine.

However, if you're asking whether or not it's possible to reboot into
NetBSD without first going through the MacOS boot, no, it's not, nor is it
likely to be anytime soon.  We depend rather heavily on a lot of the
memory setup that MacOS performs...without it, we'd be dead in the water.

I hope this clears things up a bit.

Later.