Subject: Re: Afterstep & libXpm.4.7
To: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/22/1997 11:11:12
David A. Gatwood wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Oct 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> > > That works fine.  I wasn't aware of umount -a working for the root fs.
> > > Actually, I've thought of one more factor... as far back as I can
> > > remember, I've had problems when using shutdown -r now.  I don't recall
> > > whether shutdown -h now causes the problem or not, now that I think about
> > > it -- which makes sense, since -r does reboot, while -h basically
> > > approximates "it is now safe to shut of your macintosh"....
> > >
> > > I'm trying a shutdown -h now from multi-user, rebooting from its prompt,
> > > booting NetBSD....  No problems whatsoever....  Therefore, it seems to
> > > only happen with a shutdown -r now....
> >
> > Does your drive go into some sort of sleep mode automatically? It could be
> > that the on-disk cache is getting the sectors to write but not getting to
> > send them out before MacOS resets the SCSI bus (and possably the drive).
>
> It spins down during a reboot, if that's what you mean.

David-

Do you know what kind of hard drive you're using?  I think that what Bill
is getting at here is that some hard drives support a sleep mode where
they spin down, and it might be that your hard drive is managing to spin
down _before_ the sync is performed by a 'shutdown -r'.  If this is the
case, I think that fixing it should be relatively simple, although I don't
know for sure.  Most Quantum drives for example have a jumper setting that
keeps them from spinning down...if you're only going to be running NetBSD
on the PB, that might be an option.  Otherwise, there may be some kind of
quirk that needs to be set for your hard drive (although I don't know
enough about quirks to really tell you on that one :-)

Later.