Subject: Re: Afterstep & libXpm.4.7
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Brad Salai <bsalai@tmonline.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/21/1997 15:16:58
At 10:06 AM -0700 10/21/97, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>> Hmm...I wonder if this the answer to a question I haven't posted here
>> yet.  I am trying to compile xearth, but I got a message that there was
>> no file or directory X11/Xos.h.  I checked the soure at the line
>> indicated in the error message and it is "#include <X11/Xos.h>.  So I
>> changed the "#include" to the full pathname of the header file.  That
>> just got me another error message about another header file that is in
>> the same directory as Xos.h.  I was going to change that reference too,
>> but it occurred to me that this is probably not normal behavior and is
>> probably the result of something I don't have set correctly.  Is the
>> thing I don't have set correctly the "LDPATH (or something like that)"
>> mentioned above?
>
>No. LDPATH (if I've got the name right) tells the system where to look for
>libraries, not include files.
>
>For the latter, you need something like either a link in /usr/include
>named "X11" pointing to the right directory, or you need an
>-I /some/directory/path/to/a/dir/which/contains/X11
>Note: your path should not end w/ X11. An ls of what youput above followed
>by a "/" and then "X11/file" should find the file.
>
>Take care,
>
>Bill
I just did this. Netbsd puts the includes that you need in something like
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/  and xearth looks for them in /usr/include/X11

if you do something like this:
cd /usr/include
ln -s /usr/X11R6/include/X11  .

it should work, and some other stuff that looks for the includes will work
as well. Look over my paths carefully, these are from memory, and the
machine is at home so I can't check.

Once you do this, xearth compiles fine out of the box, and runs fine too.

Brad

Stephen B. Salai                            Phone (716) 325-5553
Cumpston & Shaw                             Fax    (716) 262-3906
Two State Street                            email bsalai@tmonline.com
Rochester, NY 14614