Subject: Inlcuding headers (was: Re: Afterstep & libXpm.4.7)
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <71410.25@compuserve.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/21/1997 15:20:14
Bill,

You wrote:

>For the latter, you need something like either a link in /usr/include
>named "X11" pointing to the right directory,

What I have understood you to say here is that I should put a link to the
headers xearth is looking for in the *directory* /usr/include (at first I
thought you were talking about a file).  If I understand you correctly
then, each time I try to compile something and it cannot find a header
file that I have on my system, I should add a link to that header in my
/usr/include directory, until presumably every header file called on by
every program I have compiled has a link to it in /usr/include?  (I swear
I am not being intentionally obtuse.)

Well...OK.  I just started digging through K&R, and on page 152 it says,
"When the name is bracketed by < and > a search is made for the header in
a standard set of places (for example, on UNIX systems, typically in the
directory /usr/include)."  I think I am beginning to get it.

So, in light of all that above, what you meant here:

>or you need an
>-I /some/directory/path/to/a/dir/which/contains/X11
>Note: your path should not end w/ X11. An ls of what youput above followed
>by a "/" and then "X11/file" should find the file.

is that I could put a link in include to the directory
/usr/X11R6/include/X11 so that a compiler could find all of the header
files in that directory.  Right?  I just need to make sure the link ends
in "/", so that all the headers there can be found.

I notice that there are already a few links in /usr/include.  Why are
links to the X header files not installed with the X installation?  (Even
though their not being included has been of quite some value to my
programming and Un*x education!)

Cheers,

Sean.

                 T. Sean (Theo) Schulze
71410.25@compuserve.com            TSSchulze@aol.com
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that
there is no distinctly native criminal class except
Congress." -- Mark Twain