Subject: Re: Afterstep & libXpm.4.7
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/21/1997 08:35:45
On Mon, 20 Oct 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> > I was trying to get afterstep installed and it insisted on libXpm.4.7
> > which I found somewhere and ran through the installer to get it into
> > netbsd.  afterstep still doesnt see the lib and whats more I can't find
> > it myself so I can add it to my path.
>
> Note: You won't add the library to your PATH variable as that's not used
> for libs. Your LDPATH (or something like that) will need the change.
>
> > Afterstep says something like(where dir is a directory like
> > /etc/libexec/ld.so ?) /dir/dir/ld.so Afterstep libXpm.4.7 no such file
> > or directory.
>
> Exact messages help.
>
> > (Here is where I feel real dumb) I have never figured out how to get the
> > find command to search through all the directories, only the working
> > dir. I know I'm just not setting the correct flag. ( read those cryptic
> > man pages, confused even more) Some of the man pages have examples, and
> > makes commands easier to learn.  Find, however is not one of them.
>
> find / -name libXpm.4.7 -print
>
> > Does NetBSD defragment the drive automatically?
>
> Yes & no. The FFS stores data on disk s.t. you're likely to have all of
> a file in one area. Also, UN*X uses its buffer cache to keep from looking
> at the disk (and thus caring about fragmentation). Also, the "fragmentation"
> some utilities will report is not the same thing that a defragmenter
> will get rid of under MacOS, so don't worry about it.

Speaking of buffer cache, I've run into a weird bug.  A few months ago
(mid april, I think?), Allen Briggs compiled an ncrscsi kernel for my
laptop (PB145 from h*ll), with the hardware-based adb driver and the
intvid code to handle its video.  Anyway, it greatly decreased, but didn't
eliminate the fs damage.  I have found something that does, however.  When
I shut down, if I manually sync several times and unmount each partition
except /, then go to single-user, then sync several times, then mount -o
ro /, then shutdown -h or -r now, I don't get any fs corruption.  However,
when I just do a shutdown -h or -r now from multi-user mode, the root fs
is seriously damaged.  (The others are so small, and so infrequently used
that they don't usually get hurt.)  Does anyone have any idea what could
cause this?

David