Subject: Re: startup problems
To: Dan Heller <heller@andrew.cmu.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/20/1997 21:49:25
Dan Heller wrote:

> ok, I am sorta having urgent problems, i would appreciate any help you
> guys can offer...

let's see.... ;-)

> so it all started when I decided to compile my own kernel.  when it
> finished compiling, I felt adventurous, so I thought I would try it.  not
> surprisingly, it didn't work.  while starting up, it stopped with the
> message "/etc/rc.conf not configured", which puzzled me a little, so I
> used the installer utility to change kernels back to the old one that I
> had been using that I knew worked.  when restarted, it gave me the same
> error message, about rc.conf.  I figured maybe the file got changed
> somehow, so I downloaded etc.tar.gz using my powermac and copied the rc,
> rc.conf, rc.subr, and rc.lkm files into bsd (just to be safe).

btw, this sounds vaguely like you may have a corrupted filesystem...be
sure to run fsck when you finally get it booting again.

> now when i try to boot, I get the message "could not exec
> /usr/libexec/getty for /dev/ttye0: file does not exist" (or something
> damn close to that).  Using the installer utility, /usr/libexec/getty
> exists, and I rebuilt all of the devices and verified that /dev/ttye0 is
> there.  I also rewrote my /etc/fstab and verified that all of the
> partitions were there.

either /usr is hosed or....

> So I am not sure what to do with this error message.  I have a feeling
> that my /usr partition is not getting mounted because there are not
> messages about it before the boot process stops.  I don't know how I can
> get it to mount, though, since it won't drop me into a single user shell
> like it normally does when there are problems.  I don't understand why it
> wouldn't get mounted though, since i am using a kernel that I know works
> and by /etc/fstab has the partition listed.

have you looked at your /etc/fstab?  is it correct?  if you didn't have
your /usr partition mounted at the time the Installer created, your
/etc/fstab will be wrong (it won't include /usr).

> Also, I noticed at one point there was an /etc/nologin file created, I
> don't know exactly when.  It definately was not there beforehand.

you can delete that from the minishell in the Installer, i believe.

> Anyways, if anyone has any ideas, i would really appreciate them.  I am
> dreading a full re-install, partially because of the effort and partially
> because of the data...  oh yeah, almost forgot, it is a Quadra 610, 8 MB
> RAM, Quantum 2GB drive.

try checking the single-user flag in the Booter's "Booting" options
dialog.  this'll boot you into single-user with / mounted read-only.  I'd
run 'fsck' first, then mount / r/w by hand and modify any files you need
to modify (like /etc/fstab).

i hope this helps.

laters.