Subject: Re: Afterstep & libXpm.4.7
To: None <cruller@unicom.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/20/1997 18:06:06
> I was trying to get afterstep installed and it insisted on libXpm.4.7
> which I found somewhere and ran through the installer to get it into
> netbsd.  afterstep still doesnt see the lib and whats more I can't find
> it myself so I can add it to my path.

Note: You won't add the library to your PATH variable as that's not used
for libs. Your LDPATH (or something like that) will need the change.

> Afterstep says something like(where dir is a directory like
> /etc/libexec/ld.so ?) /dir/dir/ld.so Afterstep libXpm.4.7 no such file
> or directory.

Exact messages help.

> (Here is where I feel real dumb) I have never figured out how to get the
> find command to search through all the directories, only the working
> dir. I know I'm just not setting the correct flag. ( read those cryptic
> man pages, confused even more) Some of the man pages have examples, and
> makes commands easier to learn.  Find, however is not one of them.

find / -name libXpm.4.7 -print

> Does NetBSD defragment the drive automatically?

Yes & no. The FFS stores data on disk s.t. you're likely to have all of
a file in one area. Also, UN*X uses its buffer cache to keep from looking
at the disk (and thus caring about fragmentation). Also, the "fragmentation"
some utilities will report is not the same thing that a defragmenter
will get rid of under MacOS, so don't worry about it.

Take care,

Bill