Subject: Re: Afterstep & libXpm.4.7
To: None <cruller@unicom.net>
From: Dan Heller <heller@andrew.cmu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/20/1997 20:14:52
On Mon, 20 Oct 1997 cruller@unicom.net wrote:
> (Here is where I feel real dumb) I have never figured out how to get the
> find command to search through all the directories, only the working
> dir. I know I'm just not setting the correct flag. ( read those cryptic
> man pages, confused even more) Some of the man pages have examples, and
> makes commands easier to learn.  Find, however is not one of them.

I prefer to use the locate command.  Locate does a substring match on all of
the files one the hard drive.  The only down side is that the database has
to be updated before you can locate a file.  I think by default you can have
the locate database updated weekly (not sure, look in /etc/weekly.conf), but I
just copied that part of weekly and put it into the daily script, so it gets
updated every night.  It puts a significant load on the machine while it is
updating, but my machine isn't too busy at 5 in the morning and it only takes
about 10 minutes.

latr
dan heller

Dan Heller
heller@andrew.cmu.edu
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~heller/

"You'll find many of the truths we cling to depend greatly
    on our point of view"