Subject: Re: Quadra 660/AV - First try.
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/20/1997 17:58:56
On Mon, 20 Oct 1997, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
> I can second Colin's suggestion about zapping PRAM.  Don't change
> *anything* after you do so, not even turning Appletalk back on.

On my 660av, zapping the PRAM seems to have permanently cured the hang...
I've set my sound volume, mouse speed, appletalk settings, etc... back to
the way I like them, and NetBSD still boots.

> My experience with an 840AV is that MacBSD is rock solid after it gets up,
> but the booting process is very fragile.  The MacBSD utilities are OK but
> if I just run Fetch before booting *BSD then it doesn't work.

Yeah, I'm seeing similar problems... if I boot with extensions on, NetBSD
seems to boot, but it usually hangs either right after (before?) running
init, or after printingg the login promopt. In the latter case, the
machine is completely locked up, except I can break into ddb and do
things.

I was occasionally (maybe even usually) able to boot with extensions on
with System 7.1.something (7.1.2?), but it got worse with 7.5.5, and now
that I've upgraded to 8.0, I haven't had a successful multiuser boot with
extensions on.
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 21 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++