Subject: Re: Three button mice
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <71410.25@compuserve.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/20/1997 14:39:21
Colin,

>T. Sean wrote:
>>
>> >The other caveat is that recent kernels may not recognize the mouse.  If
>> >you are running -current, kernels that started using the "hardware direct"
>> >method for ADB do not seem to work with the Microspeeds.  All you have to
>> >do is compile you own kernel and make sure the line
>> >
>> > options         MRG_ADB         # Use ROM-based ADB driver
>> >
>> >in NOT commented out.
>>
>> Right now I am running GENERICSBC#26 with NetBSD 1.2C.  I haven't really
>> gotten to the point of rolling my own kernals yet, but I imagine this
>> will come in handy when 1.3 come out. (Assuming it will carry on the
>> traits of the -current.)
>
>What exactly do you mean by the "trais of the -current"?  If you mean the
>relative instability and constantly changing nature, no, it won't.  The
>feature freeze is happening tonight or tomorrow (I think, the exact
>timeline was posted on current-users).  Since the 1.3 release is to be
>December 1st (once again, check to timeline in the current-users archive),
>this gives us over a month to make 1.3 as stable and reliable as possible.
>The advantage of rolling your own kernels is that you can come up with a
>much cleaner and leaner kernel which doesn't have a lot of stuff in it
>that you don't need.

Sorry, Colin, what I meant to say by that was that I expected that 1.3
would continue to use the "hardware direct" method that Mark mentioned
are now in the -current kernels.  In that case, since I do expect to
switch to 1.3 when it is available, I will have to learn how to roll my
own to use the ROM-based driver (assuming I get a Microspeed mouse).  No
slight was intended to the hard work you and others have been putting in
to get 1.3 ready.

Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Cheers,

Sean.

                 T. Sean (Theo) Schulze
71410.25@compuserve.com            TSSchulze@aol.com
Custom reconciles us to everything.  -- Edmund Burke