Subject: error with installer 1.1e
From: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/20/1997 05:47:38
	Well, I just tried installing the snapshot from 10/04... I had
been using one from late August along with the GENERIC-38 kernel, and then
a few kernels Allen compiled for me to start on supporting my Comm Slot
ethernet card. But, tonight I JUST finished installing the full system...
base, etc, man, misc, comp, text, secr... all but games, and the
GENERIC-45 kernel. Installed fine and dandy... I moved my drive's SCSI
address from 5 to 1... I had been meaning to do that but didn;t want to
mess with /etc/fstab problems.

	Anyhow, I booted the kernel and noticed it actually set my Q630's
video address! So immediately I rebooted back into MacOS and tried
installing X Windows! But, partway through the installation the Installer
dropped into Macsbug. I killed it, and tried again... getting the
following errors partway through installing the Xserver12G:

-----------

Error on SCSIWrite(), #5 (5 of these)
Error on SCSIRead(), #5
pos = 0, i = 11, fs = /
alloccgblk: can't find blk in cyl

----------

	I'm not sure what to do.... I remember seeing that the kernel said
my filesystem was not clean, and to use fsck. I remember that when I was
running 1.2.1 a few months ago, every time I booted I needed to fsck...
and with the snapshot from August, I never ONCE had to fsck.... but then
again this time the first time I booted I needed to. Might it be a problem
with mkfs? I also know that NetBSD has complained about my SCSI driver
being unsupported.... it is an ncrsci driver, but I remember it not being
the same as the ones listed as supported. I had it written down but cannot
find it at the moment....

	It is a 1.3 GB Quantum Fireball external drive... 550 MB partition
for MacOS, a 250 MB partition to hold all of my NetBSD tarballs and
various packages, then about 350MB NetBSD Root, and around 40 MB of swap
(I'm estimating here... ;-)) I do recall something about problems with
drives over 1 GB... if the NetBSD partition was in the upper range, above
1 GB.

	I don't really want to reinstall the whole thing again... so can
anyone think of a way to either fix this, or at least get it to work
alright until I get enough free time to reinstall everything?

	Thanks!

	Ryan

-----
My name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!