Subject: Re: Three button mice
To: T. Sean <71410.25@compuserve.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/19/1997 13:55:46
T. Sean wrote:

> >The other caveat is that recent kernels may not recognize the mouse.  If
> >you are running -current, kernels that started using the "hardware direct"
> >method for ADB do not seem to work with the Microspeeds.  All you have to
> >do is compile you own kernel and make sure the line
> >
> > options         MRG_ADB         # Use ROM-based ADB driver
> >
> >in NOT commented out.
>
> Right now I am running GENERICSBC#26 with NetBSD 1.2C.  I haven't really
> gotten to the point of rolling my own kernals yet, but I imagine this
> will come in handy when 1.3 come out. (Assuming it will carry on the
> traits of the -current.)

What exactly do you mean by the "trais of the -current"?  If you mean the
relative instability and constantly changing nature, no, it won't.  The
feature freeze is happening tonight or tomorrow (I think, the exact
timeline was posted on current-users).  Since the 1.3 release is to be
December 1st (once again, check to timeline in the current-users archive),
this gives us over a month to make 1.3 as stable and reliable as possible.
The advantage of rolling your own kernels is that you can come up with a
much cleaner and leaner kernel which doesn't have a lot of stuff in it
that you don't need.

Later.