Subject: Re: IIsi clock slowdown
To: None <david.leonard@it.uq.edu.au>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/19/1997 13:28:14
David Leonard wrote:

> of late, the clock has been slowing down really badly. I seem to be losing
> about 7 minutes every 10! (ie sleep for 600 seconds and lose 400 seconds
> real time)

Wow, that's quite a bit of lost time!

> This is a IIsi running openbsd-current; i have had a look at the source
> but can't really fathom whats going on/wrong :) has anyone else
> seen this problem? does this appear on netbsd as well?

I suppose that this is a somewhat known problem that is a result of what I
would call bad hardware design in the 68k-based Mac's.  The problem is
that the clock update interrupt is rather low on these machines...which
means that things like SCSI activity or serial (i.e. modem) activity has a
higher priority than updating the clock.  So, are you running compiles or
doing a lot of stuff with a modem while losing so much time?

I know that many improvements on this have been made under NetBSD, I
thought that OpenBSD usually merged in NetBSD changes.  You will still get
some lossage, though, even under NetBSD (but I don't think I've seen
anything quite as bad as what you report).

> tickadj seems to be staying at 40.. could this be related?
> ntp is xntp3-5.90-export

Sorry, I don't know anything about ntp :-(

Later.