Subject: Re: Three button mice
To: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <71410.25@compuserve.com>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/19/1997 23:43:05
Hi Sean,

I am using a Microspeed 3-button mouse and I like it a lot.  You do not
have to do any key remapping.  It just works.  With a three-button mouse,
the left button is for pointing.  The middle button usually pastes and the
right button often pops up menus.

There are a couple of things to watch out for the the Microspeed. First,
to get three buttons to work, yu have to set the switch on the bottom to
"MS-2KEY not "PC-3KEY". Set it to 2 to get 3.  Makes sense, huh?

The other caveat is that recent kernels may not recognize the mouse.  If
you are running -current, kernels that started using the "hardware direct"
method for ADB do not seem to work with the Microspeeds.  All you have to
do is compile you own kernel and make sure the line

 options         MRG_ADB         # Use ROM-based ADB driver

in NOT commented out.

Mark

On Sun, 19 Oct 1997, T. Sean (Theo) Schulze wrote:

> Hello all!,
>
> I've just gotten X to run in color on my IIci, and I was thinking that
> the next step might be to get a three-button mouse.  I took a look at the
> FAQ and at the page the FAQ references about three-button mice, and I am
> still not clear on something.  Is it true that no matter what 3-button
> mouse I get, I will have to re-configure the key-mapping or some such
> (can you tell I'm a newbie :-), in order to get the mouse to work?  Also,
> is the only way to get a 3-button mouse to work to combine mouse clicks
> with keyboard key combinations?

Mark Andres                  E-mail: mark@ratbert.aisol.net
          Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
Me: /www2.giganet.net/~mark/ NetBSD: /bullwinkle.aisol.net/