Subject: Re: Headless IIcI
To: archer <archer@pacific.net.ph>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/19/1997 13:47:42
Hi,

Probably the easiest way to get things working is to connect your PowerPC
and the IIci by an Ethernet connection.  Then, you can set up TCP on both
systems and use NCSA Telnet to connect to the IIci.  If you are used to
using X programs, you cna download MI/X which is a free X server for the
Macintosh.

  http://www.microimages.com/www/html/freestuf/mix.htm

You can install MI/X on your PowerPC and run X client programs like xterm
that are on your IIci.  To connect your SE/30 to the network, you could
establish a PPP connect between your SE/30 and IIci using an Imagewriter/
Stylewriter printer cable.

Mark

On Sat, 18 Oct 1997, archer wrote:

> First I want to thank all of you considerate people who frequent this
> list for helping me to get NetBSD going on my IIcI as well as on my
> SE/30.  I am also the happy owner of a PowerPC "8600/300" which I would
> like to use to run the IIcI which has no monitor.  My question is, would
> it be easier to run the IIcI from the SE/30?, the SE/30 has no ethernet
> but the IIcI does.  The 8600 has ethernet.  NetBSD recognizes the board
> in the IIcI and all "seems" in order.  I've seen discussions abt
> "Netatalk" on the list, Is this appletalk for NetBSD?, and if so, which
> would be easiest to get my IIcI going?, I NCSA telnet on the PowerPC, can
> I use this over my ethernet to talk to the IIcI?.  Thanks

Mark Andres                  E-mail: mark@ratbert.aisol.net
          Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
Me: /www2.giganet.net/~mark/ NetBSD: /bullwinkle.aisol.net/