Subject: Re: port-mac68k universe
To: None <bwildasi@csulb.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/18/1997 19:12:57
Brian Wildasinn wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Well now that the kernel can successfully be compiled and booted on this
> Q700,a couple questons come to mind:  how do those who build their own
> kernels keep the other bin utilities in sync with the kernel changes?

Well, I'm lazy (and I don't have enough diskspace at the moment to hold
the entire source tree ;-), so I download the latest base tarball every
few months.

> For example, with a newly compiled netbsd kernel  typing "ps" to see
> what processes are running ps blows these chunks,
>
>     "ps: proc size mismatch (14076 total, 616 chunks)"
>
> Now, as far as i recall this happened in the past whenever a different
> kernel was installled with older (or newer--forgot which) snapshot
> files. Currently a current 971004 snapshot with a GENERIC 44 netbsd
> kernel runs fine using "ps" on this box.

Actually, the problem occurs whenever there is a change to the
kernel-groveling interface that these programs depend upon, so you
actually only need to update libkvm and the few utilities that depend on
it.

> Are you all installing and
> building the whole package to keep your utilities useable?

This is certainly an option, if you have the time and diskspace.  Just
keep in mind that this is truly following the bleeding edge, so be careful
not to cut yourself ;-)

> Which leads
> me to another question, how about your other critical applications, do
> they have to also get recompiled when you rebuild a kernel?

It's rare that an application would need to be recompiled for this reason.
In general, apps that need to access the kernel are dynamically linked to
libkvm (so all you need to do is update this library).

> I recall a
> while back alot of threads regarding sup-ing the netbsd tree, so is that
> the best way it's done?

If your going to rebuild the source tree fairly often (or if you have a
fairly slow net connection), yes.  Otherwise, you can always just download
the full source tarballs.

> Seem like it takes about 25 minutes to get just
> the kernel to compile. Do you switch to another machine while the
> downloads recompile?

Wow! 25 minutes?  What machine are you using?  A _full_ config, make
depend, and make cycle takes about 2 - 2.5 hours on my Q700, closer to 4
on my IIci.  Depending on the speed of your machine, a full build of all
the source can take anywhere from several hours to a few days, so it's up
to you ;-)

> Any help helps!

I hope this helps some.

Later.