Subject: Re: NetBSD doesn't come up on my LC520
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/18/1997 18:32:21
Bob Nestor wrote:

> I think the NetBSD 1.2 page is incorrect on support of this machine.  I
> seem to recall helping someone (Josh Meyer?) get it running in the post
> 1.1 days.  It's not really much different from my P-550 system (one ROM
> address is different) and we were able to identify this and build a
> working GENERIC Kernel back then. It was one of the first tests for the
> ROM Sniffer to discover the ROM address differences.

Really?  I wish someone had told me that a year and a half ago :-)  Well,
at the current rate, 1.3 will be out in a little over a month, so I'm not
too worried about it.

> The GENERICSBC Kernels work much better on the LC520 especially when used
> with the internal 160Meg disk drive.
>
> The one thing that is probably needed is a fairly current Booter.
> Version 1.9 or better I believe, but Nigel would be the best source of
> info on this.  Also as I recall he has some experience with NetBSD on the
> LC520. I think it was the first system he had to run NetBSD on, but that
> was only when his wife let him use her system.

Well, I suppose I stand corrected ;-)  Is there anyone currently running
NetBSD 1.2.1 on an LC520 who can say what it took to get it to boot?

Later.